A stroll or nap in the sun is among the reasons we all love winters. Sun feels warm and relaxing. And as much as we all want it to never end, one has to be careful. A fifteen-minute soak is enough to cause damage to your skin. And prolonged exposure only makes matter worse. This can lead to several forms of skin cancer. While the case is serious and irreversible, it can be preventable.
What are the 5 symptoms of skin cancer?
- Swollen red mole
- Scaly, crusty, and bleeding spots in the skin
- Constant pain and itchiness in the skin.
- An oddly-shaped mole that keeps growing in size
- Unexpected changes in skin texture and color.
Skin cancer prevention tips
If you’ve been diagnosed with skin cancer, there’s no reason to stop being active and enjoying the sun. But it’s important that you follow these tips to protect yourself from getting the disease:
See a doctor for a yearly skin check
It is important to catch skin cancer early. If you notice any changes in your skin, it’s best to see a doctor for an annual skin check. It only takes about five minutes and could save lives! If you are concerned about your health, don’t be afraid to speak up and ask questions!
Wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses outside
Wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses outside is the best way to protect your face and neck from the sun. The wide brim blocks 97% of UV rays. Wearing sunglasses with 99% UV protection will also help prevent damage to your eyes, which can cause dryness or irritation.
Apply sunscreen or sunblock every two hours when in the sun
If you are going to be outside for a long time, apply sunscreen under your makeup as well!
- Apply sunscreen or sunblock every two hours when in the sun.
- Apply sunscreen to your ears and neck.
- Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside, even if it’s cloudy or raining out.
Limit the time you spend in the sun
- Limit how long you spend in the sun.
- Use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30.
Check your skin regularly for abnormal moles, including your scalp and ears
To check your skin regularly for abnormal moles, including your scalp and ears:
- Examine each area of your body once per week. Look for any new moles or changes in existing ones that seem inconsistent with the rest of your skin.
- If you find an abnormal mole that has changed shape or coloration since its last appearance (for example, if it’s raised), consult a doctor as soon as possible about what to do next.
- Get regular skin checks. Skin cancer is a serious health problem, and it can be prevented by getting a few simple checkups every year.
Stock up on the essentials
Life does not stop because of such scares. Step outside just like any other day and make sure to keep some products handy. One must always stock up on the best products for sunburn treatment at home. Other than that, do not forget to carry sunburn drinks on days planned for outdoor activities. The skin should be protected from the inside and outside for the best protection against UV rays. Sunburn drink is formulated with essential vitamins and minerals that work as a shield against the harsh effects of the sun.
It would be wise for you to consider skin cancer a potential threat to you and your family. Heat waves and UV rays are getting harsher day after day. Thankfully, they can be avoided but not reversed. Stay protected by following the above-mentioned tips religiously.